Common motorcycle accident injuries stemming from serious accidents may include road rash, broken bones, brain damage, lacerations, and more. Preventative and safety measures may help reduce risk, but those who do suffer injuries from motorcycle accidents caused by another’s negligence may consult a Pennsylvania motorcycle accident lawyer in Bristol to go over their case and legal options for pursuing compensation for damages.
Common Injuries from Motorcycle Accidents
There are a wide variety of common motorcycle accident injuries possible in a serious accident. The type and severity of the injuries suffered may depend on the nature of the wreck, the impact, the speed the rider was traveling and other factors. Victims can go over their injuries and related damages with a Pennsylvania motorcycle accident lawyer in Bristol when pursuing an injury claim.
Victims of serious motorcycle accidents may find themselves with:
- Road rash – One of the most common injuries from a motorcycle accident, road rash occurs when the victim is thrown onto or slides across rough cement or pavement, scraping their skin.
- Lacerations – Victims commonly suffer cuts when thrown from their bike. Broken bones that break the skin may also result in lacerations.
- Broken bones – Fractured bones are a common motorcycle accident injury, especially on the legs and arms, but they may occur anywhere on the body.
- Scarring and disfigurement – Road rash, severe burns and lacerations can result in permanent scarring and disfigurement for a motorcycle accident victim.
- Spinal cord injuries – Injuries to the back, spine and vertebrae can cause damage to the spinal cord, resulting in paralysis and more.
- Concussions and head injuries – Head trauma, concussions and other injuries from motorcycle accident may occur when a motorcyclist is thrown from his or her bike or struck by another vehicle, especially if they are not wearing a helmet at the time of the wreck. Unfortunately, these injuries can result in permanent brain damage and even death.
- Chest injuries – When riders are pinned under their motorcycles or they hit a stationary object, the sheer force of the impact can cause injuries to the chest.
- Burns – Touching the exhaust pipe of a motorcycle or the pipe of another vehicle can easily burn riders. Additionally, if the wreck results in a fire, this can seriously burn those involved as well.
- De-gloved hands – When riders slide across the ground in a wreck, it can cause the skin and tissues to be stripped from their hands, especially if they failed to wear protective gloves.
These can lead to serious damages that may be recoverable in an accident claim with help from a Pennsylvania motorcycle accident lawyer in Bristol.
Prevention of Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Risk of many of these painful, common motorcycle accident injuries may be reduced simply by wearing protective gear and taking a few safety precautions.
Some prevention tips for motorcyclists include:
- always wear protective clothing including a brightly colored jacket, long pants, gloves and more when driving.
- never operate the motorcycle while under the influence of drugs or alcohol;
- always maintain a safe speed when driving on rough or wet roads or in adverse weather conditions;
- never tailgate or follow other cars too closely; and
- wear a helmet at all times, preferably one approved by the Department of Transportation.
Many states even require motorcyclists (or some motorcyclists) to wear a helmet by law. In Pennsylvania, for example, riders 20 and younger must legally wear one. Injured motorcyclists may go over the impact of helmet laws and their use of a helmet on their case with a Pennsylvania motorcycle accident lawyer in Bristol.
Consult a Pennsylvania Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Bristol
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, roughly 4,500 people were killed in motorcycle accidents and another 82,000 were injured in motorcycle accidents in 2010 in the United States.
Riders injured in a motorcycle accident may have grounds for a legal claim and be due compensation from the at-fault driver. In Pennsylvania, a motorcycle accident lawyer in Bristol can offer legal help to victims injured in a motorcycle accident who wish to pursue compensation for damages related to some of the common motorcycle accident injuries.