Seat belts save lives. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), your seat belt is the single most effective traffic safety device. It can be the difference between life and death if you are involved in a Bucks County car accident.
A look at the facts
It’s astonishing that not everyone wears a seat belt when in a vehicle, despite these alarming facts:
- Car accidents are the leading cause of death for people under the age of 35.
- Approximately 40,000 people lose their lives in auto accidents each year.
- In 2007, nearly 42 percent of people killed in auto accidents were unbuckled.
Common excuses: Why people don’t wear seat belts
According to the National Safety Council, teens, men in rural areas, commercial drivers, and pickup truck drivers are less likely to wear a seat belt than other groups. Common excuses people give for not buckling up include:
- “I’m only going to the shopping center.” This might be the most dangerous time to be unbuckled. Approximately 80 percent of fatal accidents take place within 25 miles of the victim’s home.
- “I’m a good driver.” You may be a good driver, but you cannot control the actions of those you share the Pennsylvania roadways with. A bad driver can still hit you.
- “Seat belts are uncomfortable.” Imagine how uncomfortable a body cast, neck brace, or burns might prove to be. If you think in those terms, your seat belt may not seem to be so uncomfortable.
- “I have an airbag.” It’s true that an airbag increases the effectiveness of a seat belt by 40 percent; however, air bags are not designed to replace seat belts. Your seat belt is still your most effective safety device.
You still could be left with a serious injury
Despite the fact that seat belts save lives, they can’t always prevent you from being seriously injured in an auto accident. A car accident injury can leave you unable to work and facing a mountain of medical bills you can’t pay. That is why you should speak with an experienced auto accident attorney.
At Cordisco & Saile Law Firm, we have an experienced team of attorneys who can protect your rights. Our goal is to hold the person who caused your injuries liable and get you the most compensation possible for your damages.
Get your free book
To get started and learn more about your accident case, order your free copy of our book, How to Maximize Your Pennsylvania Car Accident Case Before an Insurance Company Takes Advantage of You.
If you or a loved one was injured in an auto accident, contact one of our experienced Bucks County auto accident attorneys at Saile & Saile Law Firm at 215-642-2335. We can help you determine your next steps.