Slip and falls can cause serious injuries for the victims, especially people 65 and older. From the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), it is estimated that one in four elderly Americans suffers a fall. The CDC also states that one in five falls causes serious injuries, such as broken bones, hip fracture, or head trauma. In some instances, these falls are preventable and can be attributed to poorly maintained properties and work areas.
If you have suffered injuries in a slip, trip, and fall accident, you have the right to pursue compensation for your accident injuries. A slip and fall attorney in Allentown can help you investigate your accident, calculate your losses, and represent you through negotiations and in court to collect compensation. Call Cordisco & Saile LLC at (215) 642-2335 for a free case review. We also work on contingency on personal injury cases. If we feel you qualify, you pay no attorney’s fees up front. We only collect if you receive a negotiated settlement or court award.
Causes of Slips and Falls
The CDC found that the number one leading cause of unintentional death from injuries for people 65 years and older was falls, with a reported 32,522 deaths in 2018.
Though elderly people are the largest group impacted by slip and fall accidents, workers and people at work sites also suffer greatly from slip, trip, and fall injuries. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) lists four accident types as having the highest incidence of fatality. Falling is number one on that list. Of the 1,008 construction site deaths in 2018, they reported 320 as fatal falls. In fact, OSHA considers falling from six feet enough of a distance to potentially cause serious injury or death.
Whether in a nursing home, grocery store, or construction site, the causes of slip, trip, and fall accidents are consistently similar. They include such things as:
- Heights: anytime you are on a ladder or scaffold, you need to take care where and how you work. Though the degree of injury is relative to the height and the health of the victim, injuries can be debilitating and costly. If the ladder is of poor quality or the scaffolding does not meet OSHA standards, then there is the potential for a lawsuit.
- Water and spills: any liquid, whether it is rain, a spilled drink, or a broken jar, left on the ground can cause someone to slip and injure themselves. This is especially true if the spill is in an area that should be devoid of them, like an aisle in a grocery store. Property and store managers are expected to address such dangers promptly.
- Uneven surfaces: also a responsibility of property owners, tenants, and possibly a municipality is uneven surfaces. An uneven surface can be any loose tile, bumpy carpet, or cracked sidewalk.
- Stairs and handrails: continuing with property owners’ responsibilities, safe stairways and secure handrails must be available, especially for elderly living in nursing homes.
- Unkempt walkways: whether on a job site or in a nursing home, work areas and paths must not be cluttered with cords, boxes, or other trip hazards.
- Poor lighting: sufficient lighting must be provided for guests and residents to see where they are stepping. Parking lots, stairwells, or hallways require enough lighting that people can see any objects that may cause them to slip, trip, and fall.
Injuries From Slip and Fall Accidents
In any slip and fall, the common instinct of people is to halt the fall or catch themselves. As such, slip, trip, and falls tend to result in:
- Cuts and bruises
- Broken bones in the arms, legs, and hips
- Injuries to the wrists, knees, and ankles
- Head injuries, such as cuts, concussions, and traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Spine, neck, and back injuries
In severe falls, there is even the possibility of death.
If you have suffered injuries from a slip, trip, and fall, you may be able to collect compensation if negligence played a part. Call Cordisco & Saile LLC at (215) 642-2335. A slip and fall attorney in Allentown with our firm can help you determine if and how negligence played a part in your injuries. Whether we recommend a claim based on premises liability or product liability, we can help you build a case to present to the at-fault party’s insurance company.
The Losses You May Recover in Your Slip and Fall Claim
Your losses, also known as damages, can include economic and non-economic items. Economic damages are items that have a concrete value attached to them, such as bills and invoices. Such economic losses may include:
- Lost wages and benefits
- Medical expenses
- Out-of-pocket costs
Non-economic items do not have a set value to them. They are items that affect you just as equally but must be calculated through other means. Your non-economic losses may include:
- Reduced ability to increase your earnings
- Future healthcare
- Diminished quality of life
- Mental distress
- Pain and suffering
In the unfortunate case that you have lost a loved one, we are terribly sorry for your loss. Please know that we can help you through this difficult time. We can help you pursue losses in a wrongful death claim for:
- Burial and funeral costs
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of support and protection
There Is a Deadline To Act
Under the Statute of Pennsylvania Title 42 § 5524, you generally have only two years to file a lawsuit if you wish to pursue compensation through the courts. This deadline is important to remember. Though most cases are settled out of court through negotiations, if you let this deadline pass, you may not have the leverage to negotiate with the insurance companies, and the court may bar your case.
Call Us Today
If a negligent party caused your slip, trip, and fall, and you suffered injuries from the fall, then you have a right to pursue compensation for your losses. To learn more about your own slip and fall accident claim and receive assistance through the process, call Cordisco & Saile LLC at (215) 642-2335. Our slip and fall attorney in Allentown may be able to represent you on contingency, where you pay us nothing unless we win a negotiated settlement or court award.