If you, your children, or your friends are in the practice of driving while distracted, NOW is a good time to change your ways and encourage others you know to do so. Distracted drivers cause many serious, and often fatal, Bucks County, PA car accidents and Mercer County, NJ car accidents.
Any action that causes us to take our eyes off of the road – even for a few seconds – is considered a distraction, such as:
- Dialing/Answering a cell phone
- Adjusting radio or temperature controls
- Personal grooming
- Reading a map or navigation device
- Reaching into the backseat or taking a quick glance back to check on a passenger.
Remember that with the onset of spring, the roads in Bucks County, Montgomery County, Mercer County, and Philadelphia will be heavily used by bicyclists, motorcyclists, and motorists alike. Remain extra alert for both adults and children on bicycles, as well as joggers, skateboarders, and pedestrians.
Being distracted behind the wheel does not allow us to be watchful of the activities going on in the vicinity of our vehicles. This lack of attention could result in serious bodily harm to others, including broken bones, head injuries, neck injuries, and knee injuries. Anyone who is injured in a Bucks County car accident with a distracted driver should seek immediate medical attention.
Here are a few Pennsylvania distracted driving statistics for the past 5 years (PennDOT):
- 10 % of all PA auto accidents involved driver distraction.
- There were 7,000 Pennsylvania car accident fatalities; nearly 340 of these fatal car accidents were caused by a distracted driver.
- In 2010 alone, approximately 14,000 PA car accidents were linked to distracted driving.
- There were close to 13,000 PA auto accidents which involved a 16- to 19-year-old distracted driver. 60 of those accidents resulted in fatal accidents.
We would like to see the number of distracted driving accidents in the greater Philadelphia area decrease and, in turn, more lives be saved. If you have been injured in an accident caused by a distracted driver, you need competent, experienced representation.
Contact the Bucks County injury lawyers at Cordisco & Saile LLC to discuss your distracted driving auto accident and your rights to compensation.