Doctors that Treat Accident Injuries

After a Bucks County accident, you may not know what kind of doctor you should see for the pain and discomfort you are experiencing.  According to Bucks County personal injury lawyer Michael L. Saile, Jr., your family doctor is always the best place to start.  Even if you visit the emergency room from the scene of your accident you should make a follow up appointment with your family doctor or any specialist the emergency room doctor may recommend.  

Doctors are broken down by what they specialize in, so you may encounter any of these types of doctors in your treatment path following your PA or NJ accident injury: 

  • An emergency medicine doctor is the kind of doctor that you will see if you are taken to the hospital following a car accident. They are specially trained to respond quickly to injuries and/or trauma.
  • Neurologists are doctors that focus on assessing, diagnosing, and treating injuries of the brain and nervous system. Your neurologist could also be a neurological surgeon, which would allow them to perform surgery on your brain if your injury requires it.
  • Orthopedists and orthopedic surgeons treat broken bones, joint problems, and spinal injuries, all of which are common accident injuries.
  • After an accident, especially a fatal one taking a family member’s life, you might be left with unanswered questions. If this is the case, you might need to see a psychiatrist. A psychiatrist is different from a psychologist because psychiatrists graduate from medical school and can prescribe medication. A psychiatrist can refer you to a psychologist to help you with the mental affects you might have after a New Jersey or Pennsylvania accident.
  • If, at the time of your accident, you are pregnant, it can be recommended that you see a perinatologist. This type of doctor specializes in caring for high-risk pregnancies, which yours could be after a Philadelphia area car accident.
  • After your injury has been diagnosed, your doctor might refer you to see a physiatrist. A physiatrist is the type of doctor that deals with rehabilitation. If you have had surgery, or have been off of your feet for some time, a physiatrist can help you get your mobility and range of motion back.

When you are injured in a NJ or PA accident, you may not know what the next step is. The experienced accident injury lawyers at the Bucks County Law Firm of Cordisco & Saile LLC, might be able to help you. Call our offices today to discuss your accident.  You can also visit our website to request your FREE copy of our PA car accident book.