How do I report nursing home abuse or neglect?

The National Center on Elder Abuse (NCEA) reports that the most recent study (2011) on elder abuse by the Weill Cornell Medical Center of Cornell University shows it is experienced at an incident rate of 7.6 percent to 10 percent amongst study participants. However, because of the number of unreported incidents of elder abuse, the exact rate is difficult to find.

While the exact frequency of elder abuse may be hard to pinpoint, there’s no doubt that elder and nursing home abuse is a serious problem. If you see the warning signs of nursing home neglect, here’s how you can report it.

Call the Police for Immediate Help

If you believe that your elderly loved one is in imminent or immediate danger, then you need to call your local police, or 911, immediately. If the danger is not immediate, however, then the police should not be contacted. Instead, you can call one of the hotlines listed below.

Contact the Adult Protective Services Agency

The Adult Protective Services Agency (APS) should be contacted to report any suspected elder/nursing home abuse. You can reach the Pennsylvania division of the APS by calling 800-490-8505. The hotline number is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Call the Pennsylvania Department of Aging

If the nursing home incident is more than neglect and involves physical or sexual abuse and suspicious death, the further action needs to be taken. If this is the case, then the nursing home incident should be reported to the police and the Pennsylvania Department of Aging. The Department can be reached at 717-265-7887.

File a Complaint with the Pennsylvania Department of Health Nursing Home Complaint Line

Finally, you can also file a complaint with the Pennsylvania Department of Health Nursing Home Complaint Line by calling 800-254-5164. You can also file these accusations by mail or by email.

Contact an Attorney for Legal Help

Filing a complaint or reporting abuse or neglect is the first step. However, you may also want to consider taking legal action against the negligent/abusive nursing home. At Cordisco & Saile LLC, we’re ready to help.

Taking a nursing home to task on your own can be overwhelming. That’s why we’re here to provide you with the legal counsel you deserve. Contact our offices now at 215-642-2335