How to Get Your Motorcycle License in New Jersey

If you want to legally drive a motorcycle in New Jersey, you are required to possess a motorcycle endorsement on your current New Jersey driver’s license, or you must hold a separate motorcycle license if you don’t have a current driver’s license. This requires taking a basic rider course and may also require passing a road test depending on which route you take.

The following instructions will provide more information about how to get a motorcycle license in New Jersey.

How to Get Your Motorcycle Permit

You can request a permit application at any state Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) agency. The cost of a permit is $5.00, and you are required to pass a six point identification process.

  • showing two forms of identification that meet the minimum criteria.
  • providing a verifiable Social Security number.
  • and, proof of address.


You must be able to pass the required vision test and a motorcycle law knowledge test. Studying the state-issued Driver Manual and Motorcycle Manual ahead of time will help you prepare for this test.

Once you obtain your motorcycle permit, you must wait 20 days before attempting to pass a road test. This 20-day period is intended to allow for practice time. In New Jersey you can practice riding with your permit alone without a licensed rider with you.

You cannot, however, do the following while holding only a permit.

  • ride with passengers on your motorcycle.
  • ride on any toll road or limited-access highway.
  • and, ride after dusk or before dawn.

How to Get a Motorcycle Endorsement on Your License

If you completed a basic rider course and have a stamped waiver form and completion card, you can add the motorcycle endorsement to your license without any further steps. Visit the nearest MVC with the required six-point identification documents.

You must also bring your waiver form and completion card and apply for a permit to receive your endorsement. If you are under the age of 18, the basic rider course is a requirement to earning your endorsement. If you have not completed a basic rider course and you are over the age of 18, you can schedule a road test at least 20 days after receiving your motorcycle permit.

You can schedule the road test at an MVC test site and you must bring your own registered and insured motorcycle along with a helmet and proper eye protection to take the test. Once you successfully complete the road test, you will be issued your motorcycle endorsement.

How to Get Your Motorcycle License

If you are under 18 years old, you are required to have parental consent to apply for a motorcycle permit or license. You are also required to take the Motorcycle Education Program Basic Rider Course in order to earn a motorcycle license.

In the case of New Jersey residents who do not have driver’s licenses, they must obtain a motorcycle permit prior to receiving a motorcycle license. The basic rider course credentials will not waive this requirement if you do not have a current driver’s license.

Once you have your motorcycle permit, you are required to take a practice period of at least six months if you are under the age of 21. If you are over 21, your practice period is at least three months and during the practice time, all permit restrictions are enforced.

If you take a basic rider course with an approved trainer, you may be able to log the required hours during your training.
A course completion card will enable you to schedule your road test.

A probationary class E motorcycle license is issued after the successful completion of the road test, and this license will be valid for one year. Probationary restrictions apply to all riders during the first year. After one year of riding, if you are at least 18 years of age, your unrestricted motorcycle license will be issued.

Find Legal Help if You’re in a Motorcycle Accident

The motorcycle licensing process is designed to ensure that riders are educated and skilled before sharing the road with other vehicles. However, even safe riders can be involved in a motorcycle accident. Cordisco & Saile can help if you were in an accident. Contact us today at 215-642-2335.