Injuries Suffered on Someone Else’s Property

When you suffer an injury on someone else’s property, it’s likely that you can file a claim with that person’s homeowner’s insurance. If the homeowner has insurance and you’ve been injured on their property, here’s what you need to know about filing a claim.

Act Quickly

If you’re injured on someone else’s property, you need to report the claim as soon as possible to their insurer. If you wait too long, you may lose out on your right to benefits. You can find out the insurer’s name simply by asking the homeowner.

Seek Medical Care

When you file a claim under another person’s homeowner’s insurance policy, you’ll have to prove the extent of your injuries. As such, it is critical that you seek medical attention for your injuries, keep a thorough record of these appointments and follow the doctor’s order to a T.

What’s more, you will also likely have to prove that your injury occurred on the homeowner’s property, which can be difficult to do if the homeowner denies it.

How the Claims Process Works

The claims process for homeowner’s insurance is very similar to how it is for auto insurance following a car accident. First, you will need to report the claim. Then, an insurance adjuster will be assigned to your case. The insurance adjuster will get your story, the homeowner’s story, and ask for recorded statements. The adjuster will also want copies of your medical bills and medical reports to substantiate your injuries. Once enough evidence has been collected, a settlement offer will be made.

Damages Paid Under a Homeowner’s Insurance Policy

There are two types of compensation types usually paid: liability coverage and medical payments coverage. The medical payments coverage is responsible for paying for all of your medical bills and medical expenses.

Liability coverage, on the other hand, also can pay for medical expenses. This coverage type often covers other damages types. However, liability coverage is typically not paid unless the homeowner’s negligence caused your injury.

Learn More about Filing a Claim with the Insurance Company after an Accident on Someone Else’s Property

To help you understand your rights to compensation through an insurance company after you’ve been harmed on someone else’s property, contact our attorneys at Cordisco & Saile LLC at 215-642-2335 or