If you’ve been injured in an accident in Southampton, you may file a claim for compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, lost earning potential, and pain and suffering. Filing a personal injury claim can be a complex process.
There are multiple key players involved in your claim and with whom you will need to communicate until you reach a resolution for the case. Understanding who these key players are and what role they will take to determine your settlement may help when working through your claim.
List of the Key Players in Personal Injury Claims
There are several people who will work with or potentially against personal injury claims.
- Your attorney – This is your professional ally and the manager and coordinator of your case. You should be careful to select an attorney who specializes in personal injury law. Your attorney will help you gather evidence and build your case. He or she will be your advocate, representative and guide throughout the entire personal injury claims process. Your attorney can handle any defenses that arise as well.
- Your medical team – Your doctor and any specialists involved in your case after the accident will need to be informed about your personal injury claim. You will need medical documentation to support your case and your medical team may play a role in proving your injury and any related ongoing disability or pain and suffering.
- Expert witnesses – In some cases, you might need to enlist the services of various industry experts to provide testimony regarding the circumstances of the accident or your ability (or inability) to return to work. Your attorney can advise you if and when you might need the help of any experts and can coordinate these services for you.
- Eyewitnesses – If there were eyewitnesses to your injury you may need their testimony to help you prove fault or negligence in your case. Provide eyewitness information to your attorney so that follow-up can be conducted as needed.
- Insurance adjuster – You will need to communicate with the insurance adjuster who is handling your claim throughout the process. Your attorney can handle these communications for you if you prefer. The insurance adjuster will take your claim and accompanying documentation and may request clarification or additional documentation if necessary. You may receive any settlement offers from the insurance adjuster.
- Mediator – If you cannot come to terms with the insurance adjuster on an appropriate settlement, you may need to sit down with a mediator (neutral party) who will go over both sides of the case and help facilitate an agreement.
- At-fault party or parties – Defendants who cause accidents are also key players in personal injury claims. The at-fault party or his or her attorney could present defenses against your case and attempt to disprove any liability. Your attorney will work to protect your interests and will handle such defenses as needed.
Cordisco & Saile LLC Can Help with Any Personal Injury Claims
Cordisco & Saile LLC helps Southampton accident victims file and settle personal injury claims. We work with all parties to ensure you will receive all compensation you need to get on with your life.
If you have medical bills, time out of work or future disability concerns because of an injury, call us to set up a consultation to review your case. Call us today at 215-642-2335 or use our online contact form to set up a consultation.