If you get into a car accident in Philadelphia, you should:
- File an accident report.
- Seek medical attention for your injuries.
- Refrain from posting about the event to any public forums or social media.
- Consider how a car accident lawyer from our firm could help you recover compensation for your injury-related losses. Time is limited to file a lawsuit in Pennsylvania, so you should look into your legal options at your earliest convenience.
You Have Five Days After the Collision to File an Accident Report
If you were injured, someone passed away, or your car was damaged in the collision, the law requires you to submit an accident report. When the police come to the scene of an accident, they initiate this process for you. Otherwise, you have five days from the date of your collision to notify the authorities. If you fail to do so, you could face the following:
- The insurer may deny your claim by saying that you do not have adequate documentation.
- You could be accused of fleeing the accident scene, making you vulnerable to criminal charges.
- Important pieces of information could be lost if not immediately documented.
By filing an accident report, you could protect your right to compensation. Additionally, you can defend yourself against any allegations that may impede your case.
You Should Seek Medical Attention Following the Car Accident
If you got into a car accident in Philadelphia, you may have suffered an array of injuries, some of which may not be immediately noticeable. Whiplash, spinal cord trauma, and internal bleeding do not always show external signs right away. Seeking medical attention can provide you with:
- Treatment for any potentially life-altering conditions
- Documentation of your injuries, recovery period, and necessary treatments
- Testimony from healthcare professionals who can attest to the details of your injuries
- A link between your condition and the accident that hurt you
Seeking medical care does not necessarily mean that you will be hospitalized. You could visit your primary care physician, an urgent care center, or the emergency room. With a successful claim or lawsuit, you can recover many, if not all, of the medical expenses you incur.
Avoid Posting About the Accident to Social Media
Posting to social media on a daily basis has become a routine for many people. However, while you may want to update your friends and family on your situation, doing so on social media provides the insurance company with evidence that could hurt your case. You should avoid posting:
- Photos. If you post a picture of yourself, the insurer may argue that you are not as injured as you claim. Even if it’s an old picture, you do not want to give the insurer any reason to deny or undervalue your damages.
- Statuses. A simple update on your day could uproot your entire claim. The claims adjuster may be able to access these postings even if you think your account is private.
You should also avoid sending direct messages (DMs) to the at-fault party. If they message you first, screenshot the message and keep it for your records. By talking with them directly, you risk jeopardizing your case.
Consider Working with a Car Accident Lawyer in Philadelphia
A lawyer from our firm can provide you with more information about what you should do if you are injured in a car accident in Philadelphia. We can also discuss your financial recovery options, which could consist of the following:
- You could file an insurance claim. Pennsylvania is a no-fault state. Following a collision, you would file a claim with your own insurance provider. However, just because you are their client does not mean that they will treat you fairly. Our team can handle your insurance claim for you.
- You could file a lawsuit. In car accident cases, lawsuits are filed against individuals, not insurance companies. So, the subject of your potential lawsuit would be the at-fault party. We can gather evidence, present your case, and defend you against any unfair accusations.
You do not have to give your case a second thought when you have one of our lawyers on your side. Our goal is to get compensation for your medical bills, lost income, and pain and suffering.
Call Cordisco & Saile LLC for a Free Case Review
If you are interested in learning more about what you should do after a car accident, call Cordisco & Saile LLC for more information. We offer a free case review that allows you to explore the possibility of working with our team.
Call (215) 642-2335 to get started.