No matter how careful of a driver you are, you can’t dictate what other drivers do while on the road. Their negligence and poor driving behaviors can leave you seriously injured in a Bucks County auto accident. That is why you should familiarize yourself with what to do if you are ever struck by another vehicle.
Here are some simple steps to follow if you are involved in an accident:
- Make sure everyone is OK. Safety first. Your first step following a collision is making sure that everyone involved in the accident is safe. If it appears that you or someone else is seriously injured, call 911 right away.
- Exchange information. Locate the other driver(s) and exchange personal information such as names, phone numbers, addresses, and auto insurance details. Also, ask to look at the person’s registration information. It is critical to determine if the driver is the actual owner of the vehicle.
- Locate witnesses. Proving the other person was at fault can be more difficult than it appears. You should talk to anyone who may have witnessed the collision. Get their names, phone numbers, and addresses. Also, write down anything they say as it relates to your accident.
- Take pictures/Take notes. Fortunately, most cell phones are equipped with cameras and video capability. Utilize this technology by taking as many pictures of the accident scene as you can. You may also consider interviewing those involved in the accident or witnesses you talk to. This can later be used to support your case.
- Contact your insurance company. Even if you were at fault, it is critical to report the incident to your insurance carrier.
- Speak to an attorney. The other person’s insurance carrier will likely contact you right away. It is critical that you do not speak with them, give any statements concerning the accident, or admit fault before speaking to your own lawyer. The goal of the other person’s insurance company is to pay you as little as possible or nothing at all for your damages.
Don’t be taken advantage of
At the Cordisco & Saile Law Firm, we have helped countless auto accident victims recover financially for their injuries. Our goal is to ensure that your rights are protected and that you are fairly compensated for your damages. We will fight hard to make sure you are not taken advantage of.
Order your free book
While visiting our website, take the time to order your free copy of our book, How to Maximize Your Pennsylvania Car Accident Case Before an Insurance Company Takes Advantage of You.
If you were seriously injured in an auto accident, contact one of our experienced Bucks County auto accident attorneys at Saile & Saile Law Firm at 215-642-2335. We will help you determine your next step.