Risperdal is the brand name for the antipsychotic medication, risperidone. It works by affecting the chemicals in the brain. Doctors use it to treat schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and autistic children with irritability. Numerous patients have filed claims against the drug manufacturer Johnson & Johnson (J&J). Some lawsuits are based on the development of gynecomastia (male breast tissue enlargement).
Side Effects of Risperdal
The list of potential side effects of Risperdal – even for its approved use – is quite long. WebMD lists dozens of potential side effects, grouped by frequency and severity. As aforementioned, gynecomastia is one of the reasons families have sued J&J. Boys and men taking Risperdal sometimes developed so much breast tissue that mastectomies were necessary.
Below are a few examples of some severe side effects patients have experienced from using Risperdal.
- Difficulty breathing
- Mental impairment
- Parkinson’s symptoms
- Severe allergic reactions
- Heart problems
- Blood clots in lungs
- Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome
- Liver problems
- Abnormal movement of facial muscles
- Lack of blood supply to the brain
- Serious muscle damage that leads to kidney failure
Risperdal Manufacturer’s Liability
Some allege that J&J did not fully reveal the risks of diabetes or other potential Risperdal effects. They also allege that the company misrepresented the benefits and the risks of the drug when used in children.
The company has been in hot water on numerous occasions for its marketing and promotion of Risperdal and two other drugs. In 2013, the government pursued a case against J&J because of criminal and civil allegations, which included promoting the drug for uses not approved by the FDA and giving kickbacks to doctors. The company paid $2.2 billion in civil and criminal penalties.
The United States Department of Justice’s press release about the case shares some poignant quotes that speak clearly to the harm J&J has done to patient trust.
- “As patients and consumers, we have a right to rely upon the claims drug companies make about their products.” - Assistant Attorney General for the Justice Department’s Civil Division Stuart F. Delery.
- “The conduct at issue in this case jeopardized the health and safety of patients and damaged the public trust.” - Attorney General Eric Holder.
- “When pharmaceutical companies interfere with the FDA’s mission of ensuring that drugs are safe and effective for the American public, they undermine the doctor-patient relationship and put the health and safety of patients at risk.” - Director of the FDA’s Office of Criminal Investigations John Roth.
Filing a Claim for the Dangerous Effects of Risperdal
If you or your loved one experienced major injuries as a result of taking Risperdal, speak to an attorney about your legal options. Your health insurance may pay for a portion of your medical bills, but you still may have to foot the bill for damages in addition to what your health insurance will cover. If your case meets all the necessary elements to file a lawsuit, an attorney can help seek compensation for the full extent of your losses.
Examples of possible compensable damages are below.
- Hospital and doctors' bills
- Future treatments
- Lost wages
- Mental anguish
- Emotional disorders and complications
- Pain and suffering
- The effect the injuries have had on your career, your relationships and your future
Call Our Dangerous Drug Lawyers at Cordisco & Saile LLC about a Claim
If you or your family member suffered injuries or complications you think Risperdal or another dangerous drug caused, please call our injury attorneys at Cordisco & Saile LLC. We are dedicated to helping Pennsylvania individuals and families hold drug manufacturers responsible for the harm they cause.