Can I use my auto insurance if I am injured in a bike accident?

Categorized: Pedestrian and Bicycle Accidents

Can I use my auto insurance if I am injured in a bike accident?

The great thing about Pennsylvania’s insurance law is your insurance policy will cover any motor vehicle accident, whether you’re walking, driving, or biking. The majority of cyclists don’t have to worry about being in a bicycle accident, but if you are involved in one, knowing your recovery options is important.

Pennsylvania Car Insurance Requirements and Options

Because Pennsylvania is a choice no-fault state, all purchased auto insurance will cover you, regardless of who caused the accident in most cases (for medical benefits, your coverage will always pay). Mandatory car insurance includes medical benefits, bodily injury liability, and property damage liability.

When you choose your policy, you have the option to select either a full-tort or limited-tort option. While a limited-tort option saves on premiums, according to the Pennsylvania Insurance Department, you will be unable to recover benefits such as pain and suffering damages, unlike under a full-tort option. A full-tort option can be especially beneficial for cyclists, as bike accident injuries can be severe.

According to Esurance car insurance, an Allstate company, a driver’s liability coverage can help to cover a cyclist’s medical and bike repair expenses.

Select a High-limit Medical Expense Benefits Coverage Option

The part of your insurance policy that will pay for your injuries in the event of an accident is your medical expense benefits coverage. In Pennsylvania, the minimum amount required for this benefit option is $5,000.

But if you run out of the coverage sooner than expected, you may be floundering for a way to have your medical bills paid. To avoid this difficulty, selecting a high-limit medical expense benefits coverage option is highly advised.

Consult with an Attorney

Hopefully, you will never be involved in a bike accident, especially one that results in injuries. But if you are, it’s good to know what your recovery options are, as well as your legal ones. If you’ve been in an accident, the attorneys at Cordisco & Saile LLC, can help you recover the compensation about you need. Call our offices today for answers to your questions at 215-642-2335.

« Return to Main FAQ Listing