What If You’re Injured in a Car Crash, and the Other Driver Doesn’t Have Insurance?

Categorized: Auto Accidents

What If You’re Injured in a Car Crash, and the Other Driver Doesn’t Have Insurance?

Ask Yourself This Question.  Do You Have Uninsured and Underinsured Coverage in Your Plan?

No one wants to think about the possibility of being injured in a serious car accident. But it does happen. And just as you carry auto insurance, you expect other drivers to do the same—after all, it’s the law. But what if they don’t?

Unfortunately, the punishment is light for drivers who break the law by not having insurance. The state does little except confiscate their tags. And although you may be able to sue them for your injuries, if they don’t have much in the way of money or assets they basically walk away scot-free. Moreover, although Pennsylvania in general has a low rate of uninsured motorists, in Philadelphia it’s a major problem.

A smart preventive measure is to get a type of insurance, optional in Pennsylvania, called uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage (UM/UIM):

Uninsured Motorist Insurance – if an uninsured driver causes your accident, or flees the scene, UM covers medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering for you and your passengers up to your policy’s limit.

Underinsured Motorist Insurance – if an underinsured driver causes your accident and their insurance doesn’t completely cover your damages, UIM will compensate you for the remaining damages up to your policy’s limit.

If cost, is your concern, remember that it is common to be penny wise and dollar foolish with auto insurance.  Uninsured and underinsured coverage is relatively inexpensive, and policy “stacking” allows for very reasonable rates for families.  

Also, another word of caution.  If you are an employee, don’t assume your work vehicle to be automatically covered just because you’ve added this to your policy.  Your current insurance may have an “exclusion” that does not include a vehicle you drive as part of your occupation.  It is extremely important that you contact your insurance company to understand what is excluded in your policy, as these differences can drastically change a potential case if you are injured while working.

Bicycle accidents and pedestrian accidents are also covered. All in all, UM/UIM can be a godsend for you and your family. Don’t take the chance of being stuck with enormous bills.  Contact your insurance company immediately to confirm this coverage, or feel free to contact our office for a quick policy review.

If you were recently in an accident in Pennsylvania and have questions about filing a claim or need legal representation, call Cordisco & Saile LLC at 215-642- 2335 or contact us to speak to an auto accident attorney. The initial consultation is free.

« Return to Main FAQ Listing