Insurance Bicycle Accident Hit and Run

Categorized: Pedestrian and Bicycle Accidents

Insurance Bicycle Accident Hit and Run

Your car insurance or health insurance will cover your injuries after a bicycle accident if the driver flees the scene. Pennsylvania is a no-fault car insurance state. What to do right after a pedestrian hit and run or bicycle hit and run accident is the same: get medical attention and call the police to file a report. You can work with a bicycle accident attorney to build a case by scouring the area for video documentation or eyewitnesses. Beyond investigating the culprit, here’s what you need to know about recovering damages from your insurance policy.

Medical Expenses Insurance Coverage

If you have medical benefits coverage under your insurance policy (required under Pennsylvania law) then your medical benefits coverage will pay for your medical expenses up to your coverage threshold. The minimum amount of medical expense coverage that a person is required to carry in Pennsylvania is $5,000, although you can purchase greater amounts.

UM and IUM Insurance Coverage

Sometimes medical coverage from an auto insurance policy does not offer coverage high enough to pay for the full extent of injuries. When this happens, a cyclist’s UM or UIM (uninsured or underinsured motorist) coverage comes into play. UM and UIM pay for injuries regardless of fault. A hit and run driver is considered an uninsured driver. Remember, this coverage is optional, so you need to add it to your policy prior to an accident.

UM/UIM work regardless of whether you were biking, driving or walking at the time of the accident. You can purchase Pennsylvania uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage in different coverage amounts depending upon the premium you are willing to pay.

Health Insurance

In the event that your medical expenses insurance and UM and UIM insurance coverage is exhausted, then your health insurance will pay any remaining expenses. It’s important to note that auto insurance policies that are in place will be responsible for paying medical expenses before medical insurance benefits activate.

An Attorney Can Help You to Negotiate a Fair Settlement Amount

Injuries incurred by bicyclists in an accident with a motor vehicle are often severe, and treatment for them can be extremely expensive. Unfortunately, insurance companies don’t always offer the compensation amount that they should up front. Before you sign anything, make sure you call an attorney who can help you review the settlement offered to you by your insurance company and help you to negotiate for a more accurate settlement amount if necessary.

At Cordisco & Saile LLC, we’re ready to review your insurance claim and settlement amount today. Call us now to get to work at 215-642-2335

« Return to Main FAQ Listing