Is my employer required to have workers’ compensation?

Categorized: Worker's Compensation

Is my employer required to have workers’ compensation?

If you work in the state of Pennsylvania and are an employee, not a general contractor, then it’s very likely that you’re covered by workers’ compensation insurance. Workers’ compensation, which pays for medical expenses and lost wages in the event of workplace injuries. If you’re not sure whether or not your company is required to have workers’ compensation insurance, here’s what you need to know about what the law says.

Employees Covered by Other Compensation Laws

Compensation laws other than workers’ compensation include some employees in Pennsylvania. These employees include the following listed below.

  • Federal civilian employees
  • Railroad workers
  • Longshoremen
  • Shipyard workers
  • Harbor workers

If you work in one of the industries above, it’s likely that a different insurance via your employer covers you.

Learn the top ten deadliest jobs in America.

Employees Who Don’t Get Workers’ Compensation

While some employees enjoy alternative insurance, other employees have no coverage at all. That’s because the law does not require certain employers to carry workers’ compensation insurance.

Those employees who are not covered by workers’ compensation insurance include this list.

  • Any volunteer employees
  • Most agricultural employees
  • Casual employees
  • Domestics who have been granted a religious exemption

If you’re not sure whether or not you fall into one of the categories listed above, you should ask your employer whether or not s/he carries workers’ compensation, or call the Pennsylvania Department of Labor & Industry for more information about legal requirements.

Uninsured Employers’ Guaranty Fund

If your employer does not have workers’ compensation insurance and you are injured on the job, you are not necessarily barred from recovering any compensation; rather, the Uninsured Employers’ Guaranty Fund may help.

The fund was established for workers with no workers’ compensation insurance. To recover benefits from the fund, a claim must be filed within 45 days following the workplace injury. An attorney can help you to learn more.

When to Turn to a Legal Professional

One of the first things that you should do after sustaining a workplace injury is to call an attorney. An attorney can help you to determine these things.

  • Whether or not your employer carries (or is legally obligated to carry) workers’ compensation insurance
  • How to file a claim
  • How to recover benefits from the Uninsured Employers’ Guaranty Fund—or a personal injury lawsuit—if necessary

Cordisco & Saile LLC is ready to get to work today. Call 215-642-2335 to learn more now.

« Return to Main FAQ Listing