Recovering Damages After a Hit and Run Bicycle Accident

Categorized: Pedestrian and Bicycle Accidents

Recovering Damages After a Hit and Run Bicycle Accident

Statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation show that bicycle accidents lead to serious injuries and death far too often. Far too many of these accidents involve drivers who flee the scene. A hit and run bicycle accident puts victims in a precarious position. Fortunately, cyclists do have options to recover the compensation they need to cover their injuries and accident-related costs.

Will my car insurance cover my injuries?

Many cyclists are also drivers. This is good news after a hit and run bicycle accident in Pennsylvania, because it means you likely already carry mandatory medical benefits coverage, sometimes known as a personal injury protection policy (PIP). Even if you only carry the minimum no-fault coverage required, your insurance company should cover any medical bills and lost wages up to $5,000.

Of course, when a car strikes a cyclist, serious injuries often result. Costs of hospitalization and treatment can surpass this $5,000 limit in a matter of hours. If you carry optional uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, it should also kick in and pay for your care.

Note: Most insurers will require a police report to cover a hit and run accident.

What are my options for additional insurance coverage?

In the case of major injuries, many car accident victims need to file a claim based on the at-fault driver’s liability insurance to cover all their damages and pay for any necessary ongoing care. When the liable driver leaves the scene of the crash, that makes this impossible unless police identify him/her.

You can help them catch the hit and run driver by providing as much information as possible after the accident. Eyewitnesses also often play a key role in providing identifying information. If possible, give police details about:

  • The color, make, model, and year of the vehicle
  • The direction the driver went after the crash
  • A full or partial license plate number
  • A physical description of the driver
  • Information from anyone else who witnessed the accident

What if I do not have coverage through a car insurance policy?

Even if you do not have car insurance, you may be eligible for coverage under someone else’s policy. This occurs when you live under the same roof as an immediate family member who has qualifying coverage. If a family member or spouse has a no-fault car insurance policy and you reside at the same address, chances are you can file a claim based on his/her coverage.

If this is not an option, but you have health care coverage, your health insurance may pay for your treatment. This is especially true in cases where identifying the driver is likely, since the insurer can later recoup the losses from the driver’s insurance company.

Lastly, if you exhaust all other options, the state offers coverage through the Pennsylvania Assigned Claims Plan. This scheme gives Pennsylvania residents up to $5,000 in medical benefits after a hit and run crash. Qualifying for this type of benefit is not easy, however. We can help you prepare and file your claim, if we eliminate all other options for compensation.

How can Cordisco & Saile LLC help me get the compensation I need after a hit and run bicycle accident?

It happens every day. Cyclists follow all the best practices, ride safely, and Pennsylvania’s cycling laws, and still end up in a crash. Then the driver speeds away from the scene, leaving the cyclist injured and confused about how s/he will pay for his/her medical care.

At Cordisco & Saile LLC, we understand how frustrating and stressful this situation can be. And we know that, unfortunately, insurers do not make it easy to recover compensation — even for their own policyholders.

We work with hit and run bicycle accident victims in Bucks County, Philadelphia, and New Jersey to identify all their potential options for compensation and help them get the money they need. Call us today at 215-642-2335 to schedule a time to discuss your claim with one of our bicycle accident attorneys.

« Return to Main FAQ Listing