Should I report a fender bender?

Categorized: Auto Accidents

Should I report a fender bender?

Settling a fender bender without a police report can be tempting. However, whenever any accident happens that causes even the slightest amount of damage to a vehicle or person, filing a report with the police and your insurance company is a good idea. Here’s why:

A Police Report Provides Documentation from a Neutral Party

Getting everything in writing following a fender bender is a good idea, but only if damages or injuries that will require repair or medical treatment have been sustained. A report from the police provides written evidence about the accident that’s from a neutral, third party. If nothing else, the police report at least will contain information such as any witnesses and the accident’s date, time and location. Under Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes Title 75 Section 3746, reportable accidents include accidents that result in the following.

  • Injury or death to a person
  • Damage to any vehicle to the extent that the vehicle cannot be driven without repair

Even if your accident does not warrant calling the police, make sure that you do call your insurance company. AARP states that drivers should call their insurance companies in the event of a fender bender, no matter what.

You May Be Penalized Later for Not Reporting

In the event that you and the other party involved decide not to report a fender bender to the police or to your car insurance company, you may be penalized later if the other party decides to take action. For example, if the other party later discovers that damage to their vehicle occurred or that they require medical treatment from the accident and the accident hasn’t been reported to the proper entities, there may be consequences.

Most insurance companies require that you report an accident within a certain amount of time. If you don’t, you may lose your privilege of coverage. Even if you do report the incident to your insurance, if there’s no police report, settling the claim can be a complex and stressful process.

Contact a Personal Injury Attorney for Help Following a Fender Bender

If you have been in a fender bender and were injured, you may have questions about what you should do moving forward and how you’ll be compensated for damages you’ve incurred. Speak with an attorney at Cordisco & Saile LLC, where you can meet with us for a free consultation. Pick up the phone and call today to begin learning what you need to know about your rights as a car accident victim. Reach us at 215-642-2335

« Return to Main FAQ Listing