Motorcycle accidents can be devastating. Motorcycle drivers and their passengers are vulnerable to serious injuries and even death, although helmet use reduces the risk of these adverse outcomes.
If you were injured or your family member died in a Conshohocken motorcycle accident, you may be able to recover damages for your medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. A lawyer from our firm in Conshohocken may be able to help.
Negligent driving can cause motorcycle accidents
Drivers have a responsibility, legally known as a duty of care, to follow traffic laws and drive safely with respect to weather, road conditions, and other drivers and pedestrians. Drivers who violate this duty of care are negligent, and if their negligence causes an accident, they can be held legally liable for it.
There are many types of negligent driving. Some of the most common types of negligence that lead to motorcycle accidents are:
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Changing lanes without checking the blind spot
- Failing to yield when making a left turn
- Distracted driving
- Ignoring traffic signs or signals
Your lawyer will evaluate your case and look for evidence of negligent driving by the other driver.
Recoverable damages from a motorcycle accident
Your lawyer will help you estimate the total value of your economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages cover direct expenses and losses, whereas non-economic damages cover intangible losses such as pain and suffering. Here is more detailed information about recoverable damages:
You may be able to recover damages for:
- Medical expenses including emergency medical treatment, diagnostic imaging such as X-rays, MRIs, CT scans, wound care, surgeries, follow-up appointments, rehabilitative therapies, and more
- Medical equipment such as braces, crutches, wheelchairs, motorized scooters, and more
- Modifications needed to make your home accessible, such as wider hallways and doors or ramps
- Future medical care if your doctors anticipate you will need future surgeries and other treatments or long-term care
- Past lost wages while you are out of work recovering
- Future lost wages if you are unable to return to work in your previous occupation
- Repair or replacement bills for any damage to your motorcycle
You may be able to recover damages for:
- Permanent disfigurement or disability including scarring, paralysis, loss of a body part, loss of a body part’s function, and more
- Long recuperation period if your injuries take a long time to heal or if you require intensive therapies, multiple surgeries, or other extended treatment
- Chronic pain caused by your injuries
- Reduced quality of life if you are no longer able to participate in your preferred activities or hobbies, become housebound, have limited social contacts, and more
- Mental health problems such as depression, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), insomnia, anxiety, and more
Benefits of working with our motorcycle accident lawyer
Your lawyer will walk you through the complex process of seeking damages from the other driver and his insurance company. Your lawyer can assist you by:
Investigating the accident
Your lawyer will investigate who was at fault and, therefore, legally responsible for your motorcycle accident. He will interview eyewitnesses, collect police reports, take pictures of the scene, obtain any available traffic camera footage, and gather cell phone records and toxicology reports.
Determining the value of your damages
Your lawyer will use evidence such as your medical bills and records, motorcycle repair bills, past wage statements, and interviews with you, your family, and your friends to estimate how much your damages are worth. He will use this estimate to evaluate any settlement offers from the insurance company.
Dealing with insurance matters
Your lawyer will communicate with the insurance for you, including negotiating a settlement.
Filing a lawsuit
If negotiations do not produce a reasonable settlement, your lawyer will file a lawsuit and represent you in court.
We have successfully represented motorcycle accident victims
Our team has successfully represented many victims of motor vehicle accidents. Here are some of our case results:
- $1.2 million award for a motorcycle accident victim
- $1 million settlement for a rear end accident victim
- $1.33 million award for a bus accident victim
Statute of limitations after a motorcycle accident
The Pennsylvania statute of limitations for personal injury is two years, which means you generally have two years from the date of your accident to file a lawsuit against the at-fault driver. Once two years have passed, you have no legal right to seek damages.
Your motorcycle accident lawyer can help you meet important deadlines in Conshohocken, improving your chances for success.
Common injuries caused by motorcycle accidents
Protective gear such as helmets and heavy-duty clothing can reduce the severity of injuries, but motorcycle crashes can still lead to serious injuries. Here are some of the most common injuries caused by motorcycle accidents:
- Traumatic brain injuries: According to Mayo Clinic, traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) are caused by violent blows or jolts to the head. Motor vehicle collisions, including motorcycle collisions, are a common cause of TBIs. Mild TBIs can cause headaches, dizziness, and confusion, but severe TBIs can cause long-term cognitive problems, behavioral changes, and brain death.
- Spinal cord injuries: Mayo Clinic states that spinal cord injuries cause permanent changes in strength, sensation, and body function, including paralysis. The location of the injury determines which body parts are affected.
- Fractures: Fractures to the legs are common when riders are pinned beneath the motorcycle. Wrist and arm fractures occur when riders try to break the fall.
- Internal injuries: The trauma of the crash can damage internal organs and cause internal bleeding.
- Road rash: Motorcycle accidents can cause serious skin abrasions that can become infected and lead to permanent scars.
Cordisco & Saile LLC will fight for your rights
Our motorcycle accident attorney may be able to assist you after an accident in Conshohocken. Your lawyer from our team may be able to help you recover damages for medical expenses, pain and suffering, and more.
Call Cordisco & Saile LLC at (215) 642-2335 today for a free case evaluation. Because we work on contingency, you pay no fees unless we win your case.