Were you involved in a motorcycle accident? The law firm of Cordisco & Saile LLC understands the complexity and gravity of accidents that involve motorcycles. We have successfully handled a wide variety of motorcycle accidents in New Jersey and Pennsylvania and work to ensure that our clients receive the legal guidance, representation, and rights that the law affords them.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, although motorcycles represent only 3% of all registered vehicles and are used very sparingly in comparison to commercial trucks and passenger vehicles, they account for a disproportionate number of traffic fatalities–as much as 14% of all traffic deaths every year. If you or a loved one was involved in a motorcycle accident or suffered injuries in an accident that involved a motorcycle, do not hesitate to give our offices a call. Please contact the office of a motorcycle accident attorney in New Hope at (215) 642-2335 today.
Motorcyclists Can Suffer Serious Personal Injuries in Accidents
Motorcycle riders are more vulnerable than other vehicle drivers on the road. This is partly because motorcycles offer the rider limited insulation and protection from trauma and impacts. Also, due to its size, it can be harder to see a motorcycle on the road. Many drivers are also unaware of safe driving rules when it comes to motorcycles, and the fact that smaller vehicles can easily get lost in the blind spot or no-zone of a larger vehicle is an additional complication.
Accidents between motorcycles and other vehicles and even between motorcycles and roadside fixtures or property often result in fatalities and catastrophic injuries. Some of these injuries are as follows:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries, also know as TBIs
- Spinal Cord Injuries, or SCIs
- Road rash and extensive skin damage
- Fractures and broken bones
- Leg and foot injuries
- Biker’s arm, which is nerve damage that is sustained after a fall
These injuries can lead to a wide range of damages and losses to the affected bike rider. They can lead to substantial medical treatment and surgery bills, medication costs, higher insurance premiums, pain and suffering, emotional distress, vehicle damage, and death. Even mild accidents can cause a person to lose time from work and suffer additional expenses such as cleaning or caretaking services if the victim is unable or unavailable to perform tasks he or she used to perform.
According to some estimates, serious motorcycle crashes result in several hundreds of thousands of dollars’ worth of expenses per incident. Fatal accidents can cost as high as $1 million or more. Speak with our motorcycle accident lawyer for details on how to quantify the value of your claim and what categories of injuries and damages you may be entitled to compensation for.
Motorcycle Accident Claims are Complex
There are many challenges with seeking compensation for the victim of a motorcycle accident. There is a myth about motorcyclists being reckless and irresponsible and that they are more likely to cause an accident to another vehicle on the road than the other way around. If the case goes to trial, the victim may be painted with this stereotype and lose out on damages that he or she may otherwise have been entitled to.
Furthermore, there is the issue of negligence and establishing a connection between an accident and the injuries and damages that you suffered. It can be difficult to prove that someone cut you off, was driving recklessly, did not see you when they should have, or did not give you the right of way when they should have. Video and dashcam footage can help, but it takes time, effort, and an understanding of road and insurance laws to put together a credible case for damages and to file a claim based on those facts.
This is where our motorcycle accident attorney in New Hope can help. We will investigate your case, gather whatever evidence is available in support of your case, interview eyewitnesses or bystanders, obtain the police report of your accident, and obtain any road surveillance or dashcam footage that can support your claim.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Below are the most common causes of motorcycle accidents on New Jersey and Pennsylvania roadways.
- Aggressive drivers: Car and truck drivers that drive too closely and fail to share the road with motorcycle riders are examples of aggressive driving. This kind of driving can lead to an accident in an instant.
- Driving under the influence: Drinking and driving is illegal. It is a leading cause of motorcycle accidents across the country.
- Driver distraction: Distracted driving takes many forms. It can take the form of texting and driving, interacting with passengers while driving, eating while driving, or even failing to execute safe lane changes.
- Reckless driving: Reckless driving such as frequent lane changes, taking sharp turns, or making other unexpected movements can catch other drivers–including motorcycle riders–off guard, causing an accident.
- Speeding: Speeding is a form of reckless driving. It makes it harder for a driver to stop if they suddenly see a motorcyclist riding in front of them.
Pursuing Compensation for Injuries Suffered in a Motorcycle Wreck
There are many compensable damages that you can seek after your motorcycle accident. These include:
- Medical care costs: These include the costs of hospitalization, surgery, therapy, medications, diagnostic testing, and ambulance services.
- Therapy and rehabilitation: Some injuries require long-term therapy such as strength-building exercises or occupational therapy to re-learn how to perform basic tasks.
- Lost income: If you lose income because you are unable to work while you recover from your accident, you can seek compensation for those losses.
- Loss of companionship or loss of service: If a motorcycle accident results in a fatality, surviving members of the deceased’s family can file a wrongful death claim and seek compensation for loss of service and loss of companionship.
- Vehicle and property damage: You can seek compensation for any vehicle or property damage you suffer in your motorcycle accident. You need to prove the value of these losses using maintenance invoices or receipts but they can be claimed.
Call the Office of a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in New Hope
Motorcycle accidents can be catastrophic and traumatic, and you should not have to suffer monetary losses or pay for treatments if you can prove that your accident was caused by someone else’s carelessness or negligence. Contact the office of a motorcycle accident lawyer by calling (215) 642-2335 for a free consultation and let Cordisco & Saile LLC handle your case for you.