After you’re in an auto accident in King of Prussia:
- Check yourself and your passengers.
- Document the scene.
- Exchange information with the other driver.
- Get medical help.
- Consider retaining the services of an auto accident lawyer in King of Prussia
Taking these steps will protect you, as well as your right to compensation.
Let’s dive deeper into the steps of what to do if you’re in a car accident in King of Prussia
Certain steps will help ensure your safety and serve you well during the claims process.
Check yourself and your passengers
After you’re hit, pull over to the shoulder of the road if you can. That way, you won’t be vulnerable to oncoming traffic and at risk of getting into another accident. If that isn’t possible, leave the vehicle and get yourself to a safer place.
If you or any of your passengers are hurt, call 911 and the police. Have someone nearby contact them if you can’t get to the phone at the moment.
Document the car accident scene
Documenting the scene of the accident will serve as evidence when you file your case against the liable party.
- Get a copy of the accident report: The responding officer will write up a report that dictates their understanding of how the accident transpired.
- Take pictures or videos: Document the damages both vehicles sustained, the road conditions, the street, and your visible injuries.
- Take down witness information: Ask bystanders who saw the crash for their name and contact information. They can give their account of the accident.
Exchange information with the other driver
After the accident, exchange information with the other driver. Make sure you are polite and keep calm. Getting angry and pointing fingers won’t help the situation.
Just ask them for the following information:
- Their full name and phone number
- License plate and driver’s license numbers
- The make and model of their car
- Their insurance provider and policy number
Accept medical care
You may not have been the one to call an ambulance, but if one comes, accept medical care. The EMT will take you to the hospital, and a doctor will examine you to diagnose and treat you. If no one called emergency services to the scene, visit your primary care physician to get yourself checked out. You may have an underlying injury that hasn’t shown symptoms yet.
Addressing your medical needs will also show the insurance company that the auto accident was a direct cause of your injuries. That way, the adjuster will have a tougher time claiming that something else caused your injuries or that they weren’t that severe.
Consider retaining the legal services of an auto accident lawyer in King of Prussia
You may want to think about having a car accident lawyer go after a financial recovery for you while you take time to heal from your injuries. They can take on your personal injury case from start to finish.
In doing so, they will:
- Build an evidence file
- Apply the theory of negligence to your case to demonstrate the other party’s liability
- Talk to other respective parties
- Assess your damages
- Consult your doctors
- Contact witnesses of the auto accident
- Negotiate a settlement
- Represent you before a jury if a settlement isn’t achievable
Your car accident lawyer in King of Prussia may help you and your family on a contingency-fee basis, so they will not ask you for payment up front or hourly. You and your lawyer will agree on a percentage they will take from your settlement or court award as their fee. They won’t take that fee if they don’t obtain compensation for you. That way, there are no surprise costs.
Types of damages you can pursue after a car accident in King of Prussia
You may qualify to sue for different kinds of damages after you were hurt in an auto accident. Some examples are:
- Medical expenses for past and ongoing treatment
- Pain and suffering
- Income losses
- Future loss of earning capacity
- Property damage
- Mental anguish
- Scarring and disfigurement
If your loved one passed away from the auto accident, you can file a wrongful death case. You and your family can seek damages for final medical costs, funeral bills, and other losses.
A car accident lawyer in King of Prussia with Cordisco & Saile LLC can help you
It can be confusing to figure out what to do if you’re in an auto accident in King of Prussia. However, when you have an auto accident lawyer with Cordisco & Saile LLC guiding you, they will take care of everything so that you can concentrate on recovering.
Call us at (215) 642-2335 for a free consultation. Pa. C.S.A § 5542 limits how long you have to take action, so get in touch with our team today.