After a Pennsylvania or New Jersey auto accident, you may have shoulder pain. Depending on the nature of your shoulder injury, you may feel pain immediately, or pain may not become noticeable until the hours following your accident. Bucks County personal injury lawyer Michael L. Saile, Jr. tells us that most shoulder pain from an auto accident injury is caused by a sudden blow to the shoulder.
There are several types of shoulder injuries that can be sustained as a result of a NJ or PA auto accident. They are easily remembered by the acronym “FIRST“.
- Rotator cuff tear
- Tear of the rim (also known as a SLAP tear)
- A fracture is a crack in any of the three shoulder bones; the shoulder blade (scapula), the collarbone (clavicle), and the upper arm bone (humerus).
- Impingement is the term used to describe the rubbing of the tendon and bursa causing pain.
- A rotator cuff tear usually is the tendon pain you feel in the front of your shoulder. This is often caused by separation or dislocation of the shoulder.
- A tear of the rim is that of the soft tissue that stabilizes your shoulder joint. Normally, soft tissue injury is not able to be seen on your X-ray and an MRI or CAT scan may be needed to confirm a diagnosis.
Most shoulder pain you feel after auto accident impact stems from the soft tissue. This sort of injury may require rest, pain medication or anti-inflammatory drugs in order for the area to heal. Sometimes, physical therapy or cortisone injections are prescribed if the pain persists. When all of these are unsuccessful in reducing or eliminating pain, then arthroscopic surgery may be necessary to repair or reattach torn or separated tendons.
If you or a loved one has endured a shoulder injury due to a Philadelphia area auto accident, it is important that you get a medical diagnosis and adhere to the prescribed treatment. An experienced Bucks County car accident attorney can help you to obtain the compensation you need to heal from your accident injury.
In an effort to keep costs to a minimum, insurance companies may try to minimize your claim. The PA personal injury lawyers at Cordisco & Saile LLC are not afraid to fight large insurance companies on your behalf. After all, it is important that you have the best possible recovery from your PA or NJ auto accident injuries so that you can resume the lifestyle you had before the accident.
If you have sustained an accident injury, you may have lots of questions for a personal injury lawyer. Get our FREE PA Car Accident Guide for more information.