Truck Accident Lawyer in Lehigh Valley
Who Is at Fault in a Truck Accident?
It is not always immediately clear after an accident who is at fault, so it is critical to request a thorough investigation. The police will investigate the accident and so will the insurance companies, but you may wish to have our truck accident lawyer in Lehigh Valley investigate it as well. We can independently investigate the accident with your best interests at heart.
The truck driver may be at fault for many reasons. For instance, they may be in a hurry to make a delivery or get home, be overtired from driving long hours, or be under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Here are some of the most common scenarios in which truck drivers cause accidents:
- Speeding: Truck drivers may speed to meet a deadline, see their families, or for no specific reason, but a tractor-trailer going too fast can be hard to control and can easily lead to an accident.
- Using a handheld mobile device: According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), truck drivers cannot use a cell phone or other handheld mobile device while driving and face severe penalties if they do.
- Under the influence of drugs or alcohol: The standards for drug and alcohol use are even stricter for commercial truck drivers than other drivers. FMCSA states that truck drivers with a blood alcohol content of 0.04 or greater are considered positive for alcohol use and must immediately be removed from driving a commercial vehicle.
- Fatigue: Truck drivers who are under pressure to log a certain number of miles may push themselves to keep going, even when they are exhausted. Tired drivers also have poor reflexes and coordination and may even fall asleep at the wheel.
- Driving too fast for current weather conditions: All truck drivers must modify their driving to the weather, even if that means driving slower than the posted speed limit.
- Driving errors: Anyone can make a mistake, but those mistakes can be costly when the driver is hauling tens of thousands of pounds. Truck drivers may follow too closely, change lanes without checking their blind spots, ignore traffic signs and signals, or make other driving errors that cause accidents.
Other Parties May Be Liable for Your Accident
While you may immediately blame the truck driver for causing your accident, they are not necessarily at fault. Our Lehigh Valley truck accident lawyer can identify other potentially liable parties and seek appropriate damages from them.
Other at-fault parties may include:
- Manufacturers: The manufacturer of the truck or its parts, such as brakes, can be held responsible for defective or dangerous parts that lead to an accident.
- Cargo loading teams: Imbalanced, poorly secured, or overloaded cargo can cause trucks to roll over, jackknife, blow out tires, and more. The loading team can be held responsible for negligent loading.
- Trucking companies: Sometimes, trucking companies skimp on maintenance to save money. Poorly maintained trucks may have worn-out brake pads, cracked windshields, and other compromised components that can easily cause an accident.
Have you suffered an injury?
Damages Available After a Truck Accident in Lehigh Valley
Every accident is different, so the types and amounts of damages available vary from case to case. Our truck accident lawyer can estimate how much your case is worth. However, more serious accidents generally result in greater damages.
Economic Damages After a Truck Accident
Economic damages cover tangible losses caused by the truck accident, such as:
- Medical expenses for treatment after the accident
- Future medical expenses if you need long-term care, ongoing therapy, anticipated surgeries, or other expected medical treatment
- Loss of income if you are out of work temporarily or permanently
- Property damage for your vehicle’s repair or replacement
Non-Economic Damages After a Truck Accident
Non-economic damages cover intangible losses caused by the accident, such as:
- Emotional trauma
- Physical pain and suffering
- Loss of a body part
- Permanent disability
- Reduced quality of life
Wrongful Death Damages After a Truck Accident
If you lost a loved one in a truck accident, you may be able to recover damages for wrongful death, such as:
- Medical bills for treatment your loved one received before passing away
- Funeral and burial expenses such as fees for cremation, embalming, a casket or urn, flowers, a memorial service, and more
- Loss of income including wages, benefits, and retirement income
- Loss of inheritance that surviving family members anticipated
- Loss of services such as household maintenance, chores, childcare, and more
- Pain and suffering experienced by surviving family members
How a Truck Accident Lawyer Can Help You
A truck accident can be a traumatic experience. Our truck accident lawyer can take over the administrative burden of recovering damages, so you can focus on healing. This includes:
- Investigating your truck accident
- Identifying the responsible party
- Seeking damages from the responsible party
- Filing insurance paperwork on your behalf
- Negotiating a settlement with the insurance company
- Filing a lawsuit if necessary
Time Limits After a Lehigh Valley Truck Accident
You only have a finite amount of time to file a lawsuit against the at-fault party after a truck accident. Pennsylvania law gives you just two years to sue for personal injury or wrongful death. If you wait any longer, you forfeit your legal rights.
Contact Cordisco & Saile LLC After Your Truck Accident
Our team has helped many truck accident victims in Lehigh Valley and across Pennsylvania. If you need legal assistance after a truck accident, call Cordisco & Saile LLC at 610-708-0165. We may be able to help you recover damages for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
Our lawyers work on contingency, which means we only collect payment if we win your case. We also offer free case consultations, so you have nothing to lose by contacting us. Call today – the sooner we talk, the sooner we can get started on your case!
Contact Us Today
Please fill out the quick contact form below for a fast and free case consultation. We will
contact you within 24 hours!
Contact Us For
Free Case Evaluation
Local First Responder After Truck Collision
Motorcycle Accident Client Following Brain Injury
Bucks County Car Accident Victim
The nationally recognized and award winning team of attorneys at Cordisco & Saile LLC have been fighting for residents of Pennsylvania & New Jersey for 30 years.