It happens in an instant: you find yourself lying on the ground, hurt because you slipped and fell due to a hazard you did not realize was there. As summer approaches and tourists flock to New Hope, the risk of a slip and fall accident increases. Busy business owners may not notice hazards such as spills or fallen debris, but something as simple as a spilled drink can cause a serious accident.
If you fell and sustained injuries on someone else’s property, you can benefit from hiring a slip and fall accident attorney in New Hope to help you seek compensation. The property owner may be responsible for your medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages the accident caused. A personal injury lawyer familiar with cases like yours may be able to help you recover your losses.
Do I Have a Valid Slip & Fall Accident Case?
Not every fall is a slip and fall accident case. You might trip out of your own clumsiness or fall on a hazard but not sustain any injuries. Our legal team can evaluate the details of your case and let you know if you have a valid slip and fall accident claim. It must contain these elements:
- Duty of Care: The property owner had an obligation to keep you safe from In general, anyone who invites you onto their property—including owners of shops, hotels, and other businesses—owes you a duty of care.
- Breach of Duty: The owner violated their duty of care by failing to address or warn others of a slipping, tripping, or falling We must show that the owner knew or should have known about the hazard but failed to warn you or fix the problem.
- Causation: The owner’s breach of duty directly caused you to fall. You likely would not have slipped if the owner had repaired the hazard or warned you about it.
- Damages: The accident left you with damages, such as medical bills or lost wages, that can be financially compensated.
Common Slip and Fall Hazards
Here are some of the most common slip and fall hazards:
- Broken or uneven pavement in a parking lot or sidewalk
- Loose and rippled carpeting
- Slick spots on the floor
- Broken stair railings
- Poorly lit stairwells
When you hire our firm, our lawyers will investigate your accident by taking pictures of the scene, collecting security camera footage, and interviewing eyewitnesses. We will look for evidence that the property owner knew or should have known about the hazard that caused you to fall but failed to mitigate it.
Damages You Could Recover for a Slip & Fall Accident
Your case is unique, so we cannot say how much it is worth without a thorough investigation. Our lawyers will evaluate your case and collect evidence such as medical bills and records, past wage statements, and expert medical testimony. We will use that evidence to calculate the value of your losses so you can recover the best possible settlement or award.
You may be entitled to damages for:
- Medical expenses for immediate and ongoing treatment of your injuries
- Loss of income for time you were unable to work
- Property damage for broken watches or jewelry
- Pain and suffering for physical pain and emotional trauma
- Reduced quality of life if your injuries make it hard for you to socialize, prevent you from engaging in hobbies or activities you used to enjoy, cause you chronic pain, or limit your life in other ways
Why You May Need a Slip & Fall Accident Attorney
You may benefit from hiring a slip and fall accident attorney in New Hope if you feel uncomfortable pursuing damages on your own. Most people recover damages through an insurance settlement or a lawsuit. Our lawyers will help you weigh your options and choose the best path forward. Our services include:
- Estimating the value of your losses
- Filing an insurance claim
- Negotiating a settlement
- Filing a lawsuit and representing you in court
Time Limits in a Pennsylvania Slip & Fall Case
Pennsylvania law limits how much time you have to pursue damages in a slip and fall accident case. Specifically, the statute of limitations for personal injury is two years, which means you have two years from when the accident occurred to file a lawsuit against the responsible party.
You forfeit your legal right to sue if you wait any longer, even if the property owner was clearly at fault. Therefore, act promptly after your accident to preserve your legal rights.
Cordisco & Saile LLC Can Help with Your Slip & Fall Accident Case
If you were injured in a slip and fall accident in New Hope, you may be entitled to damages for medical care, pain and suffering, and more. An attorney with Cordisco & Saile LLC may be able to help you recover these damages and more.
Our team works on contingency, which means we collect no payment until we win your case. Call our office today at (215) 642-2335 for a complimentary case assessment.
- 42 Pa. C.S.A. § 5524(2))