Google 5-star rating logo - Cordisco & Saile maintains a 5 star review rating across their Pennsylvania-based offices
Brain injury top 25 trial lawyers award - Cordisco & Saile has been awarded the Brain Injury Trial Lawyer Top 25 Award
BBB A+ rating logo - Cordisco & Saile is a Better Business Bureau Accredited Business with an A+ rating
Available 24/7
Free Consultation
Call Or Text
Close this search box.

How to Report Nursing Home Abuse in Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Nursing home abuse can leave seniors with physical and emotional scars, impact their quality of life, and even lead to premature death. If you believe your aging loved one or another senior is suffering nursing home abuse, you need to report it as soon as possible. Learn how to report nursing home abuse below.

elder abuse on chalkboard

Who do I call first to report nursing home abuse?

When the abuse causes a life-threatening situation and a nursing home resident is in immediate danger, do not hesitate to call 911.

If you suspect abuse but the senior is not in immediate danger, report the abuse to nursing home administration or your loved one’s doctor.

Do not, however, stop there. You also need to report the abuse to the proper county or state authorities to launch an investigation and protect these elders from their abusers.

You need to be aware of the information these agencies will need from you when you make the report. This will include your name and contact information, the name of the victim, the name and address of the facility, and details about the suspected abuse. While you do have to give your name to most agencies when you file a report, they will not release this information to the facility.

Who do I contact to report New Jersey nursing home abuse?

In New Jersey, you can file a complaint with Adult Protective Services by contacting your county office or calling the statewide hotline at 609-588-6501. When your county receives word of possible abuse, the APS office assigns the case to a trained social worker. This social worker will meet with the senior to look into your complaint within 72 hours.

The New Jersey Office of the Ombudsman for the Institutionalized Elderly may also investigate your claim. Their focus is on seniors over age 60 who live in nursing homes or other similar facilities. You can reach the office by calling 1-877-582-6995.

Lastly, the NJ Division of Health Facilities Evaluation and Licensing sets regulations and oversees operation of nursing homes and other long-term care facilities. In some cases, abuse also warrants an investigation into the licensing of the facility. You can reach the office by calling the reporting hotline at 1-800-792-9770.

Where can I report Pennsylvania nursing home abuse?

The Pennsylvania Department of Aging is the go-to agency for reporting the abuse of an older adult. You can file a complaint by calling 1-800-490-8505. The agency also allows anonymous reporting, if necessary.

In addition, the state offers an Ombudsman Program for seniors and others who live in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities. This ombudsman can act as an advocate for the senior through the abuse investigation and recovery. To contact your local ombudsman coordinator, call your county’s Area Agency on Aging office. In Bucks County, that phone number is 215-642-2335.

Can I take further legal action on behalf of my loved one?

Yes. If a nursing home staff member or other affiliated caregiver acted negligently, your loved one may be able to recover compensation for any financial losses or emotional damage suffered.

Call the Bucks County office of Cordisco & Saile LLC today, and we can evaluate your case for free. If we find that your senior is eligible to file a claim for compensation, we will help you navigate the entire process and do everything we can to recover a just and fair settlement.

Call us today at 215-642-2335 to discuss your case with a nursing home abuse lawyer.