Google 5-star rating logo - Cordisco & Saile maintains a 5 star review rating across their Pennsylvania-based offices
Brain injury top 25 trial lawyers award - Cordisco & Saile has been awarded the Brain Injury Trial Lawyer Top 25 Award
BBB A+ rating logo - Cordisco & Saile is a Better Business Bureau Accredited Business with an A+ rating
Available 24/7
Free Consultation
Call Or Text
Close this search box.
Home > How to Report Nursing Home Abuse in New Jersey

How to Report Nursing Home Abuse in New Jersey

Nursing home abuse

State and federal laws protect nursing home residents from abuse. Despite these laws, far too many nursing home residents suffer abuse every year. While we hope that your loved one is never a victim of abuse or neglect, it pays to be aware. Learn how to report nursing home abuse in New Jersey below:

For Immediate Help:

Call 911

If it is a medical emergency or you believe your loved one or another resident is in immediate danger, call 911.

To Report Suspicions of Abuse:

If you believe that your loved one is not in immediate danger, you can use any of the following resources to report any suspicions of abuse. These investigations might take some time; you might also want to consider making arrangements to transfer your loved one as soon as possible.

Call the New Jersey Office of the Adult Protective Services Agency

The Adult Protective Services Agency (APS) maintains offices in every state. Find the office in your county to report your suspicions.

The APS will investigate your complaint and take necessary action to ensure the safety of residents at the home.

File a Complaint Against the Facility

You can also file a complaint against the nursing home, by contacting the State of New Jersey Department of Health.

You can file online or call the complaint hotline available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week: 1-800-792-9770.

File a Complaint Against a Staff Member

If you want to make a complaint against a doctor or nurse or other health care professional at the facility, you can do so by telephone or by mail.

The Board of Medical Examiners (BME) handles complaints about New Jersey physicians. You can reach the BME by phone at (609) 826-7100 or fill out a complaint online.

The New Jersey Board of Nursing handles complaints about New Jersey nursing staff. You must make your complaint by phone or by mail. You can reach the Board of Nursing at 973-504-6430 or you can send your complaint form to:

New Jersey Board of Nursing
PO Box 45010
Newark, NJ 07101

Contact the New Jersey Office of Ombudsman for the Institutionalized Elderly

The New Jersey Office of Ombudsman for the Institutionalized Elderly (OOIE) is dedicated to protecting the rights of residents age 60 and older who live in nursing home or other long-term care facilities in New Jersey. You can report abuse by:

  • Phone: 1-877-582-6995;
  • Mail: The Office of the Ombudsman, P.O. Box 852, Trenton, NJ 08625-0852

Contact a New Jersey Elder Abuse Lawyer to Take Legal Action

In addition to filing a complaint, you can also take legal action against a nursing home for neglect or abuse. Taking on a nursing home by yourself is a daunting task. The nursing home abuse lawyers at Cordisco & Saile, LLC are ready to help you. Call 215-791-8911 today to schedule your free consultation and find out your next steps.

Contact Us For
Free Case Evaluation
down arrow
down arrow