When you are on foot and a motor vehicle strikes you, the physical harm you suffer can be catastrophic. If you need help going after money damages for your injuries, lost wages, and other expenses, call a pedestrian accident lawyer in Yardley, PA.
At Cordisco & Saile LLC, we can take care of your personal injury claim so that you can focus on getting better. We want to help you rebuild your life. Call us today at 215-642-2335 for a free consultation.
How Much Compensation You Can Get After a Pedestrian Accident
It is impossible to say how much compensation you will receive for the harm you suffered from a motor vehicle hitting you while you were on foot. Every case is different. We will have to talk to you and investigate your situation before we can calculate the number of your damages.
Here are some of the types of compensation we frequently collect for our clients:
- The reasonable cost of medical treatment for your injuries. Your recoverable expenses can start with the ambulance and carry you through the emergency room, hospitalization, doctors, surgery, x-rays, lab work, physical therapy, and prescription drugs.
- If you experience significant injuries, you might have to go to a rehabilitation center for specialized treatment. These costs can be recovered, as well.
- Long-term care might be necessary if you suffer devastating injuries that cause you to need ongoing daily assistance with medical treatment and personal care.
- You can recover compensation for the income you lost, like wages, salary, and self-employment income, because of the pedestrian accident and your recuperation time.
- Decreased earnings. Sometimes a person cannot earn as much money after a severe injury. If the harm is severe enough, the injured pedestrian might not be able to work at all.
- Intangible losses can be part of your personal injury claim. This category can include things like disfigurement, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), depression and anxiety, loss of consortium, and the loss of enjoyment of life. Another recoverable non-economic loss is pain and suffering for the physical discomfort and psychological distress you experienced because of the pedestrian accident.
What to Do After a Pedestrian Accident
You should take action to safeguard your health and protect your right to compensation for your injuries. The following steps are merely suggestions. You should always do what makes sense in your specific situation.
If you can detect injuries, you should get immediate treatment to have the greatest likelihood of a positive outcome after healing. Some forms of treatment are only an option very early in the process.
Even if you do not have symptoms right away, you should go for a professional medical trauma examination and work-up right away after getting struck by a motor vehicle. Sometimes accident victims do not feel pain right away because of the adrenaline coursing through them. Some injuries do not always have signs immediately, although you could be experiencing significant damage like internal bleeding.
Linking the Pedestrian Accident to Your Injuries
A jury is much more likely to find that the pedestrian accident caused your injuries if you went straight to the emergency room and got medical treatment after the incident. If you try to “tough it out” by waiting several days to get medical attention, the insurance company will argue that you got hurt from some later event rather than the pedestrian accident.
Your medical records will be strong evidence of what caused you to suffer harm. Make sure that you tell every health care provider who treats you that the injuries were from the pedestrian accident.
Talk to a Personal Injury Lawyer
Be sure to talk with a pedestrian accident lawyer in Yardley, PA shortly after your accident. PA imposes deadlines and other rules on getting compensation for harm sustained in accidents. If you miss the deadline or fail to follow one of the other rules that can apply to your claim, you can lose the right to pursue compensation for your losses.
By talking with us right away, we can offer guidance so that you do not make mistakes that can decrease the value of your injury case. We can help you navigate through the complex process of going after the at-fault driver. We can collect evidence, deal with the insurance company so that you do not have to, and file a lawsuit if the insurer refuses to pay a fair amount to settle your claim.
Avoid These Traps That Could Hurt Your Case
The insurance company of the driver who hit you will assign a claims adjuster to handle your claim. The adjuster will likely call you and ask you to give a recorded statement, supposedly to get your side of the story.
Do not be tricked by this tactic. A recorded statement gives the adjuster the opportunity to twist your words into something you did not intend. The insurer could use your words against you to try to pay you less money than you deserve. If the insurance company asks for a recorded statement, tell them to talk to your lawyer. Once you get a lawyer, the insurer is not allowed to contact you directly.
Also, do not settle your case before you have healed from your injuries as much as you are going to. If you settle before that point and later discover that you will have a permanent disability, you cannot go back to the insurance company and get more compensation. If you need more medical treatment after you settle your case, you will have to pay those bills out of your own pocket.
Getting Help with Your Injury Claim from a Yardley, PA Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
You do not have to try to figure out all the laws and rules that can apply to your situation alone. We can answer your questions. We will take the time to listen to you and treat you with compassion and dignity.
Call a pedestrian accident lawyer in Yardley, PA from Cordisco & Saile LLC at 215-642-2335 today to line up a free consultation. There is no obligation. We do not get paid until you win money damages.