Slip And Fall Lawyer in Bucks County
A slip and fall accident is one of the most ill-fated accidents that can happen to you or a loved one. Your injuries may bring unbearable suffering, and some may cause life-changing harm. Yet if you slipped due to someone’s carelessness or negligence, you can seek legal help to be compensated for your injuries.
A team of Bucks County slip and fall lawyers can compile the facts of your case and fight for the compensation you need to get your life back on track. At Cordisco & Saile LLC, our attorneys will be there to represent your case and guide you throughout the claims process.
- What Is a Slip and Fall Accident?
- Why Choose Cordisco & Saile LLC to Represent You?
- Common Causes of Slips and Falls in Bucks County
- Types of Injuries Sustained in Slip and Fall Accidents
- Steps to Take After a Slip and Fall
- Who’s Liable for My Injuries After a Slip and Fall Accident?
- What Is My Bucks County Slip and Fall Case Worth?
- What Types of Damages Can I Recover?
- Can I Get Money if I’m Being Blamed?
- How Long Do You Have to File a Slip and Fall Claim?
- Contact Cordisco & Saile LLC for Your Bucks County Slip and Fall Claim
What Is a Slip and Fall Accident?
A slip and fall accident refers to an accident in which a person slips or trips and subsequently falls, resulting in an injury. Many slip and falls occur at commercial businesses, such as malls, department stores, or restaurants. It can also happen outside in a parking lot or sidewalk. Slip and fall accidents may also occur on private property.
Why Choose Cordisco & Saile LLC to Represent You?
Our Bucks County personal injury attorneys at Cordisco & Saile LLC have worked many slip and fall accidents. We know how to navigate around opposing parties and their insurance company.
We are nationally recognized trial attorneys with over 30 years of experience in battling personal injury cases. Our attorneys and professionals have extensive resources to research, negotiate, and fight for the best outcome in your case, as we did for a Bucks County client who sustained an injury that required surgery. Her slip and fall claim against a negligent shopping center resolved in a $700,000 settlement.
The other party will try to discredit your claim, alleging that you were more responsible for the slip and fall accident. Or they will try to settle for a small amount.
Have you suffered an injury?
Common Causes of Slips and Falls in Bucks County
Slip and fall accidents can occur for many different reasons. Common causes include the following:
- Rocky or uneven surface
- Loose or unhinged tile or flooring
- Wet or slippery surfaces
- Unsecured carpet or mat
- Clutter blocking walkway
- Insufficient light in an area filled with garbage and other debris/clutter
- Inadequate maintenance of premises
Types of Injuries Sustained in Slip and Fall Accidents
Many types of injuries can occur because of a slip and all accident. The personal injury attorneys at Cordisco & Saile in Bucks County have decades of experience with slip and fall cases and the tools to fight for compensation for your injuries.
Common slip and fall injuries include:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Broken or sprained limbs
- Brain injuries
- Cuts and lacerations
- Internal bleeding
- Wrongful death
Regardless of the type of injury you’ve sustained or its severity, you should always see a medical professional for an assessment. This is the first thing you should do to protect yourself from further injury and financial strain.
Steps to Take After a Slip and Fall
Not many people make plans in case of an accident, especially something as unforeseen as a slip and fall accident.
And when an accident does happen, shock and pain may prevent you from thinking clearly about where to start. But here’s what you should try to do after a slip and fall:
Get Medical Attention
Medical care is the foundation of your slip and fall personal injury claim. You are seeking compensation for the injuries you or a loved one experienced. The basis of your case resides in those injuries. Therefore, medical documentation is essential.
Moreover, your health is more important than any lawsuit. Always make sure that your injuries or a loved one’s injuries are examined by the paramedics, hospital, and your general practitioner if necessary.
Gather Evidence and Identify Witnesses
It may not be the first thing on your mind, but you need to examine the scene of the accident as best as you can. This can include the following observations:
- Where was the location of the fall?
- What was around you at the time?
- How was the visibility?
- Was the floor wet or shiny?
- Was there a warning sign posted anywhere?
Also, be sure to identify witnesses to the accident, including other customers, bystanders, and workers.
Remember, this step only applies if you can do it. Your medical attention comes first. Do not delay having your injuries checked by the paramedics to survey the scene.
Collect the Accident Report
There will be official documentation about the slip and fall accident. This includes medical records and a police report. Even the establishment where the accident happened will probably have a report. Make sure you collect these reports. They can be crucial to your case.
Contact a Bucks County Slip and Fall Attorney
Lastly, bring your case and your evidence to a slip and fall attorney. They will be able to talk property owner and their insurance company.
Your slip and fall lawyer will be able to handle your case and determine the compensation you are entitled to. They have the experience and knowledge to handle the negotiations and do their utmost best to fight for you.
Who’s Liable for My Injuries After a Slip and Fall Accident?
Slip and fall accidents are a type of negligence. Negligence is the failure to exercise reasonable care that an ordinary person would do under the circumstances. The owner of the place where you fell is required to secure the premises and keep it safe. If they neglect this duty, they are liable for your injuries. This is called premises liability.
How Do I Prove Negligence?
You must prove the property owner’s negligence to succeed in your slip and fall claim. This means you must prove the following:
- Duty: The owner had a duty to keep their premises safe.
- Breach: You must prove that the property owner breached this duty and the premises were unsafe (e.g., leaving the floor wet and no warning sign).
- Causation: You must prove that this breach caused your injuries.
- Damages: You must prove that the breach was responsible for your damages (e.g., medical bills and lost wages).
What Is My Bucks County Slip and Fall Case Worth?
The amount of compensation a slip and fall victim may be awarded depends on the circumstances of the case. A team of experienced lawyers will investigate and analyze the situation to determine the amount of compensation you can claim.
- Whether you tripped on something and, if so, what you tripped on
- Where you tripped (inside or outside)
- The condition of the surface you fell on
- Whether there were any objects near where you fell that could have contributed to your injuries
- The health condition of the victim (you or a loved one)
Your attorney will value your case based on a number of factors, including the economic and non-ecomomic damages to may be entitled to.
What Types of Damages Can I Recover?
The types of damages depend on the facts of the case. Generally, you can claim economic and non-economic damages.
Economic damages include damages that can be proven numerically. Common examples include the following:
- Medical bills: This can include emergency room visits, doctor visits, surgeries, hospital stays, blood tests, MRI and CT scans, X-rays, therapy, and rehabilitation.
- Employment: This will include any wages that you missed due to taking time off work due to the slip and fall accident. This can also include any work opportunities that you no longer qualify for because of your accident but would have qualified for had you not been injured.
Non-economic damages are not quantifiable and are, therefore, harder to prove. Examples include the following:
- Pain and suffering: This refers to the pain and suffering you or a loved one endured because of the accident.
- Loss of consortium and/or companionship: This refers to the affection and company that can no longer be given by a loved one who was injured because of the accident.
Punitive damages may be awarded in cases of exceptionally egregious behavior on the part of the defendant.
Can I Get Money if I’m Being Blamed?
Yes, you might be able to still get compensation if you are being blamed for the slip and fall accident. Pennsylvania is a modified comparative negligence state.
This means that even though you are found to be partially at fault for an accident, you can still recover compensation. However, this rule only permits you to recover compensation if your percentage of fault is not more than the other party’s percentage of fault.
For example, suppose you incurred $50,000 in injuries for a slip and fall accident. If you were found to be 10 percent responsible for the accident, then you can only recover $45,000.
Take that same example, but suppose you were 51percent at fault for the accident. In this case, you would not be able to recover any compensation because your percentage at fault is more than the other party’s.
How Long Do You Have to File a Slip and Fall Claim?
Every state has a time limit for bringing a claim. This is called the statute of limitations. Slip and fall claims are types of personal injury lawsuits.
In Pennsylvania, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims is two years from the date of injury. After that time, you will be barred from bringing your claim. Note, though, that exceptions to statutes of limitations do exist, so you are strongly encouraged to speak to a lawyer about your case as soon as possible to guarantee that you meet all deadlines.
Contact Cordisco & Saile LLC for Your Bucks County Slip and Fall Claim
People come first at Cordisco & Saile LLC. We will file your case on time, analyze every aspect of your case, and follow every route possible to ensure you get the maximum amount of compensation you deserve.
That’s why we offer a free consultation for an experienced slip and fall accident lawyer to review the details of your case to see if you are entitled to compensation. Call us at any one of our offices in Doylestown, Quakertown, and Langhorne.
Contact Us Today
Please fill out the quick contact form below for a fast and free case consultation. We will
contact you within 24 hours!
Contact Us For
Free Case Evaluation
Local First Responder After Truck Collision
Bucks County Woman Injured at Shopping Center
Bucks County Car Accident Victim