What to Do After a Hit and Run

It is more difficult to get the compensation you need for injuries or property damage after a Pennsylvania or New Jersey hit and run. While your medical benefits coverage will pay for some of your treatment, it is not unusual for the cost of serious injuries to exceed the maximum limit of these policies. Make sure you know what to do after a hit and run to make it easier to file a claim and get the compensation you need.

Before you get behind the wheel, read these five steps:

1) Call Police

Once you know you are out of harm’s way and cannot suffer further injury, dial 911. Let them know a description of the car that hit you, your exact location, and whether you need emergency medical help.

No matter what you do, let the police track down the other driver. It is never safe to try to pursue another motorist.

Note: Even if you do not believe you are injured, ensure officers come to the scene. Most insurers do not take hit and run claims without a police report.

2) Talk to Witnesses

If you can, you should get the names and contact information for anyone who witnessed the crash. Some may provide details of the vehicle or driver that you did not see, which could play a key role in identifying the hit and run driver. If possible, also have them stay and relay what they saw to the police.

3) Collect Evidence

As soon as possible, write down all the information you remember about the accident and the other car. Also take pictures of the scene, the damage to your car, and any injuries you suffered.

4) Provide All Possible Facts to the Police

Once the police reach the scene, they will ask you about accident and the other driver. Stick to the facts, and offer them as many details as possible to help them identify the other driver. If they can find the liable motorist, filing an insurance claim and getting the compensation you need will be easier.

5) Contact Your Insurance Company

Call your insurance company to let it know you were in an accident. They can help you get a tow truck or other assistance, and will begin filing a claim based on your no-fault medical benefits coverage. They can also advise you about any uninsured/underinsured policies that may provide additional compensation.

Do I need a car accident attorney after a Bucks County hit and run accident?

In some cases, you can handle filing a car accident claim without calling an attorney first. However, if you suffered serious injuries or your insurance company is not offering you a fair settlement to cover your losses, you may need to enlist the help of a Bucks County, Philadelphia, or New Jersey car accident lawyer.

At Cordisco & Saile LLC, we can fight for your right to recover a just settlement after a NJ or PA hit and run. Call us today at 215-642-2335 to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with one of our attorneys.